So below you will find the amazing Sweet n' Sour Chicken dish that I request at any special occasion or just cause I am craving it. It is originally done with pork, but I prefer using the chicken.
- 1 pound pork tenderloin or chicken, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt *optional*
Cook and stir meat pieces in oil in a skillet over medium heat until brown, at least 15 minutes.
While that is cooking, prepare the sweet n' sour sauce:
- 1 can (13 1/4oz) Pineapple Chunks
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
Drain the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple chunks. Reserve the pineapple chunks. Mix everything else above together.
Pour that mixture (the sweet n' sour sauce) on the meat in the skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Next you'll need the following:
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- The reserved pineapple chunks
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 12 Cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts, chopped *optional*
- 3 cups hot cooked rice or noodles
Mix cornstarch and water; stir into the meat mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in reserved pineapple chunks, the green pepper, and tomatoes; heat until pineapple and tomatoes are hot. Stir in 1/2 cup of peanuts into the hot rice. Serve meat mixture over rice or noodles; top with remaining peanuts.